THE WORLD CUP & YOU



Comments
So if you've been in contact with me at all you know that I have been taken with FIFA Fever 2010. My Twitter has exploded with tweets about Brazil and England and Korea and Italy. I scream at the top of my lungs when I'm at home and pump my fists silently when I'm at work. Occasionally, the ICSB liaison will come in, see me watching, and ask for the score.  He has actual things to do.

To be honest, FIFA is the only time I really get into soccer. I love the game and if I'm invited or reminded that a team that I love is playing I'll watch if I have the time. But the FIFA World Cup is what I watch almost religiously. It's the one time I keep up with team stats, watch games repeatedly and blow up my Twitter. And yesterday, while watching the Brazil v Korea game, I was put in mind of how much the World Cup reminds  me of the young adult writing community.

If you didn't watch the game, Korea scored once in the last five minutes. They tried a bunch of other times, but the one was all they managed. After one of the missed shots, do you know what a Brazilian player did? He didn't laugh or jump up into the air. He patted the player's shoulder as if to say 'it's okay. Maybe next time.'

And this, I think, is what the game is all about. And, more relevantly, what I think our community is all about. Players in the World Cup come from every corner of the earth. They don't speak the same language or have the same customs, but they're brought together by this amazing game. They shake hands and promise to have a good game and when one team wins, they congratulate each other. They're civil and supportive and it's beautiful.

Just like us. I can't speak for other writing communities. But I know, for a fact, that the young adult writer's community is amazing. We don't tolerate hate or dis-ingenuity. We love each other. We want each other to succeed. We cheer each other on and congratulate each other and support each other. If we miss a goal, there are ten people to pat us on the shoulder and say 'it's okay. Maybe next time.' That's beautiful and wonderful and I don't ever want it to change. There are enough people out there waiting to knock us down. But there are so many more people right here, waiting to pick us up and push us forward.

Keep being great, guys. It makes my faith in the world and the future soar.
newer post older post