AND THEN THIS HAPPENED



Comments
So I'm going to preface this post by saying: I got a smart phone at the worse possible time in my life.

I finished the final draft of my book, We, the Risen, in May. I wrote a query, a synopsis and then I fired it out into the universe. The following two months were two of the hardest months of my life. I had nightmares (one which involved me being responsible for the death of an agent because my book was that bad), could not sleep and avoided work duties in favor of reloading my email.

I got a lot of really positive responses - and then one morning I woke up and there was an email that basically changed my world and also made me rip my hair out. An agent hadn't finished the book, but she loved it so far, and wanted to know who else it was out with.She'd be finished soon, she said, but to please let her know if anything changes in terms of my representation status.

To be honest, I hadn't  thought I would hear back from this agent. She'd contacted me first two years ago about a novel that has, since then, been trunked. We kept in touch, and when I finished We, the Risen I sent it off to her, expecting to wait a very long time before I ever heard back.

Instead, a few days later I got the email - 'I'd love to set up a time to talk with you.'

Commence more hair ripping.

If I had gotten this email a year ago I would have jumped straight into 'this is an offer of representation'. But I'd heard enough to know that sometimes agents called to give you a revise and resubmit, or to (God forbid) offer you a very personal rejection. And to top it off, in my fear/euphoria/need to vomit I'd scheduled the phone call for five days later. I had a lot of nightmares. And did a lot of stalking. And also whined an incredible amount to all my wonderful friends. (Seriously, guys, thank you so so so much for listening to me belly ache about everything for the past two months.) The fifteen minutes before the call I think I nearly threw up twice, and hand my hands shook so much I could barely keep a grip on my phone.

But the call went wonderfully. Not only did she offer representation, she had such wonderful things to say about We, the Risen and understood my vision. By the end of the conversation, I knew. And I'm pretty sure in the blur that that afternoon was, that I said that.

The next day I sent her an email, and a few hours later I had a contract.

I am very very very very pleased and excited to say that I am now represented by Ammi-Joan Paquette of the Erin Murphy Literary Agency.
newer post older post