NEO OR AGENT SMITH



Comments
So I know that I said that I was going to be sort of MIA for this week. But I find myself in possession of exciting news, the urge to give you guys a mega-post and some time since I finished my second round of revisions for chemistry. Originally, this was going to be there separate posts spread out over the course of a week. But, I won't be posting for the rest of the week, so this is it.

Last night I was swinging between watching the Oscars and trying to study for chemistry. Anyone who was watching the Oscars last night knows that that's pretty much impossible, but  I persevered! I managed to get through an entire month's worth of notes. Ecstatic at my triumph, I check my email. And what do I see but an email from an agent who saw this blog and read my work and wants me to query her. Guys. This blog is officially holy ground. Okay? Officially. 'Cause an agent's traversed these pages.

So I go off screaming and squealing and jumping up and down in excitement. And I'm messaging all my friends going 'HOLY GOD, GUYS. SHE LIKED IT!!! WHAT THE FRAK!' And Hasan (the sidekick), goes:
don't talk to any agents sumi!!!! HAVENT YOU SEEN THE MATRIX????? THEY ARE BAD PEOPLE. THEY JUST TRANSFORM AND TRY TO KILL YOU AND YOUR LITERARY WORKS. LEARN FROM NEO'S MISTAKES.
After I explained to him that agents were a legitimate part of the industry he congratulated me and squeed in a way only Hasan can squee. But what he said got me thinking about the post I was going to be doing on friendship on the internet and how there are Agent Smith's out there.

Ever since I discovered AW through the NaNoWriMo forums, I have met and continue to meet some of the most amazing people. I've gushed about this before, but despite the flowery language I've used, I'm serious. Not only have I been able to connect with like minded writers, but I have also learned. A lot.

I came to Absolute Write with an unfinished book, and a vague understanding of querying and publishing. That was in May. It's ten months later and I know so much more about the industry. I know the pit falls, I know how to check to make sure that an agent is legitimate, I know that you can't just go sending out a manuscript to every publishing house. I know that there are genres, and sub genres and the publishing industry is both fluid and rigid. And I wouldn't have known any of this if I hadn't found Absolute Write, sat down, read and did research. The fact that I found an amazing critique group, is a plus. The fact that I've met women who I can talk to via Twitter and Facebook and instant messenger for hours is a plus.

But I did. And these friendships are important and wonderful. Because we look out for each other. We whine to each other. We celebrate and cry and reminisce and go through the crazy, emotional rollercoaster that is the ride to getting published together.

We also look out for each other. The publishing industry is weird in that it's both huge and small. There's room for everyone, and there are people that are willing to take advantage of the uneducated. There are Agent Smith's looking to take your money and leave you stranded in the Matrix. They want you trapped so they can harvest your energy and keep growing their machines. But if you know what's out there and you've got people who are looking out for you? Then you could find the One. You could find that agent that understands your book and wants the same things for it that you do. Who wants to liberate its mind and take it to the surface.

But you have to know. And you need a Trinity watching your back and ready to shoot up the place to make sure that you get out of the Matrix in one piece. So yes, some agents want to kill your literary works. But most agents are Neo's waiting to become the One just for you. And us? We're your Trinity's, watching your back in black leather, high heeled boots and sexy shades.
newer post older post